Am Montag, den 29.08.2005, 12:21 +0200 schrieb Christian Schmidt:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to do something like Windows XP's hibernate function with
> LTSP clients? What I want is to be able to turn off the client and then
> turn it on later and still have the same programs running, the same
> documents open etc.
>
> It is not a problem for me if the programs are still running and are
> using CPU, RAM etc. It would be nice, though, if they were somehow
> stopped, so that my IM client would go offline and things like that.

The "problem" of the X technology used in LTSP is that it is a
shared-state model. The state of the screen, among other device
dependant stuff, is on the terminal, while the state of the applications
is on the server. This has enormous advantages when it comes to
complexity and ressource: There is no need for the server to run a
framebuffer copy of every client desktop. On the other hand, rebooting a
client means losing the session. Hibernating it is probably not better:
The processes on the server need to be aware of the fact that their
screen is currently sleeping, which they probably will not work with at
all.

A solution for roaming users with persistent sessions (quite like the
Sun solution, if you happen to know it) is to run a X-proxy on the
server, and on every client connect to check wether there already is a
session for that user - in case yes, connect to the X-proxy where that
session lives, else create a new session in the X-proxy and connect
there. afaik, some Gnome people started playing on that. In doubt it
means a higher load on the server, but that might be marginal if users
understand that playing a video and then leaving the session is not
acceptable... :-)

I don't know of any deployment-ready solution right now, sorry.

Anselm