Christian Schmidt wrote:

Simon Langley wrote:

I mentioned in an earlier email that I was thinking of trying to
use a laptop as a wireless LTSP client by connecting the ethernet
port on the laptop to a cheap wireless AP.

I used to run LTSP over a wireless 11g network using a Linksys box that acts as a hub between ethernet cable and 11g. But now I switched back to cable.

The wireless connection appeared to have higher latency than a cable, and once in a while the connection would stall for a second or two. With cable it works much smoother.

The quality of a wireless connection depends on a lot of things, so it may just be some local conditions that caused my problems. I thought they were worth mentioning, though.

Christian Schmidt

This has been my experience as well. It's not much of a problem and the client is perfectly usable (with the odd brief delay) but the latency on the wireless network
makes viewing videos impractical.

I had noticed the problem but not figured out the cause until someone else
on the list suggested I check the latency - it was a factor of ten higher than on my wired network. Nevertheless, the only real problem is with video so I can live
with it.

I am currently trying to see if there is anything I can do to reduce the latency
but I am drawing a blank so far...