Hi,

A Gilmore wrote:
Hello,

I have an LTSP network setup with about 5-10 users on it at any given time. It mostly runs fine, but openoffice has been giving me trouble, it hangs for someone about every other day. When it does this the user cannot open openoffice, cannot see any running instance of openoffice, but is listed in ps aux about 6 times.

pkill rarely fixes it, normally a kill -9 is required. I have noticed that when it happens it seems to be when the user has opened a document from an email attachment(email client is thunderbird). Of course this doc is temporarily in the /tmp folder.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so has any solution beyond manually killing processes exist?

Ive been wondering if it is linked to the fact all users are using the same tmp folder, and the files are somehow colliding or something. Although this can be changed in openoffice, it cannot be changed in thunderbird via options that I can see, so it will still open in /tmp.

been out of it for a while, but I remember having similar problems once with OOo 1.x on K12LTSP, solved by a patch back then, and haven't seen it in the current SUSE 9.x + LTSP installation.

The bug also made it impossible for the users to open the files they'd saved, without root setting things straight for them.

It's been a while since, so this should only apply for older OOo versions. AFAIR, the problem was OOo not being able to write on certain areas of hard disk (above a certaing address). If that's not it, I hope it provided a hint.

BR,
Gudmund