On 19/10/05 at 14:54 Krsnendu dasa wrote:
>Yes. Sound is essential for primary schools. It would be great if it just
>worked with LTSP.
>
>At our school we have been running KLTSP for over a year and overall we are
>very happy with it. But problems with sound have been a real drawback.
>Gcompris is good but sometimes the sound works and sometimes it doesn't. In
>some application and not in others. All the terminals are the same, but
>some
>users have sound and some do not. We also have not got the sound working on
>websites yet.
>
>Sound is an area that would really make the system complete.
>We have Sound-blaster compatible ISA sound cards (Compaq SFF EN-ESS sound
>card). In addition to the K12LTSP applications (Gcompris, Openoffice,
>Mozilla, TuxMaths etc) we also run Crossover Office (MS Powerpoint, Windows
>media player).

I think, your applications will have to be able to output sound to a networked
sound-server. Otherwise, it won't work on LTSP.

I've been able to get sound (XMMS, an mp3 player, to be exact) to work in our
internet cafe. The details have been written here:
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Sound#Potential_problems
HTH.

Cheers,
Harry