Joe,

I don't have a problem with Ubuntu, but fact is, Ubuntu is new and Ubuntu still has many bugs.

Specially if it comes to hardware problems, the people should use one of the standard-distros where they really can find help in the net. Ok, after that, after the have fixed the problem, they can try the same with Ubuntu, why not ....

Now many people will change to Ubuntu plus LTSP. Why? Because the like to safe money. For many people it looks like, with Ubuntu the can use any old cheap hardware. But Linux is not Windows. What, if it will not work right away??? They will not complain about the cheap hardware, the will complain about Linux and LTSP, because with Windows before, they don't have problems .......

That's what I mean. And the reason why many people are using Ubuntu now, it's not because it's working just fine, it's because the good marketing of the Ubuntu Foundation, like CD-ROMS for free for example ....

Guenther
Davao City, Philippines, Planet Earth

Joe Auerbach wrote:

Guenther Boelter wrote:

Patrick,

why everybody now has to use Ubuntu? Ubuntu is a nice and colorfull ditsribution, but Ubuntu is new and Ubuntu still has many bugs. That's normal for a one year old project but it's the reality?? Try debian, Fedora, Geento or whatever for the beginning. Later you can change if you like.

As an aside, I think this is a bad idea. I've never used gentoo, but I've run ltsp on all of the above mentioned distros and ubuntu is by far the easiest. it's also the most big-free distro I've ever used, and I've used every fedora since it began to now as well as the most recent version of debian. The reason so many people are using it now is that it's working just fine.