Am Freitag, den 04.11.2005, 11:08 -0500 schrieb Tommy Leak:
> Thank you so much for your time.  I am working on a project to convert
> a 200 seat call center from Windows-based agent PCs to LTSP.  There is
> one application that the managers find critical to be able to run in
> order to convert to Linux.  This app is called Virtual Observer.  This
> is client/server software written in Visual Basic 6.  The server part
> runs on a Windows 2000 server.  The purpose of the software is to
> record telephone conversations and screen shots of the agent's PCs to
> insure good customer service.  Each agent PC runs a client app that
> connects to the Windows server and notifies the server software of the
> agent's windows user-id and the ip address of the PC that they are
> using.  Supervisors using a GUI to the server software schedule
> recording sessions for the agents.  When the agent connects at the
> appropriate time, a session is recorded and the png files are copied
> to the server and updated into its db.
>
> Using WINE, I have been able to successfully install the agent client
> software and it works great from the server.  Its also works great
> from a diskless workstation.  Whether running the software from the
> server or the workstation, the agent software reports the windows
> user-id (same as Linux user-id through samba) and the server ip
> address.  The ip address is always the server's ip address.  I do
> understand why this is happening.
>
> In order to be able to run this agent software on all thin clients,
> the agent software must be able to report the thin client's ip address
> and not the servers.  I understand that I can dedicate a fixed ip
> address using the mac address and dhcp.  How do I get the application
> to see the client ip address instead of the server's?  Do I need to
> configure the app to run as a local application or do I have other
> options?

That depends on the nature of the ip address detection. If (which is
quite probable) the address is detected by the server (meaning, it just
looks from which IP the connection is made) you will probably have no
options than to make it a local application. This would mean to have
wine running as local app and so on... I guess you already investigated
that way.

The only other possibility I see is quite troublesome in setting up, and
I'm not too sure wether this works...
Let's assume your Linux network (terminals etc) lives on 10.0.0.0/8 (so
with lots of free IP addresses) and the windows server also lives in
that IP address segment. Now let's assume you just need a unique IP per
Linux-user-ID, say for user id "X" ranging from 501 to 754 (well...
creating a rather simple example ;-) you want the VisualBasic App to be
IP 10.0.123.(x-500). If the protocol for data exchange is simple and
does not contain any IP addresses transmitted over the data channel and
only consists of TCP connections to (preferrably) a single TCP port on
the server (and yes, "ethereal" is one of my friends), you could try to
go with using the iptables SNAT to ip 10.0.123.(501-x) target and the -m
owner --uid-owner x rules....

I did not try those ugly hacks yet, but perhaps that gives you some
inspiration. man iptables contains some information.

HTH
Anselm