Catherine,

It sounds like your Xserver is crashing, probably due to running out of
ram.  You should try turning on NFS_SWAP, to see if that helps. I'm
guessing that the problem will go away when you do that.

These are the settings to add to the lts.conf file:

    USE_NFS_SWAP  = Y
    SWAPFILE_SIZE = 64m

Let us know if that clears it up for you.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]