On Saturday 17 December 2005 12:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> Has anyone thought of making a special root directory that could host an
> IPcop or Smoothwall firewall?
>
> The smallest hard drive I can buy is 20GB. A waist when IPcop only uses
> maybe 2GB of that. I don't see why I need to run a hard drive at all
> with all the features of an LTSP client.
>
> I know some people are making cluster farms using LTSP where the clients
> boot up as nodes on a cluster but has anyone done anything to make a
> firewall.

Royce
ltsp has paved the way and shown how
What I've done (similar need, different app) make an nfs rooted host to do
only 1 client, read-write.
You need space on your server for ThatClient's root filesystem. In every
respect your client is a stand-alone machine, with no disk and net boot.

Note you may do this for one client only, but you have a standalone dedicated
machine. (You can have lots of client setups like this on 1 server, just
ThatClient uses ThatClientsRootFilesystem not shared ReadOnly as ltsp,
ie you can't have two clients using ThatClientsRootFilesystem)
James