Poul Moller schrieb:
Hi list,

Hi Poul,

I'm running LTSP 4.1.1 on a 3GHz/2Gb box under FC2. I'm experiensing complete LAN freezes quite often, and I'm really without a clue.

In my case, there was a mix of 10 MBit/s and 100 MBit/s LAN cards in the beginning resulting in a constant trouble. It didn't actually freeze but destroyed network connections to the clients - randomly. So check if there is any card running on another speed.

(The harsh environmet is a middle school in Rome, and it is really harsh. Students may click on every icon they see on the desktop just to see what happens. They might unpluck mouse/keyboard cables, stick pencils into floppy drive, kick the PC if it doesn't work instentaniously. You should see it...you won't believe it)

Hm, actually I thought the eighties were over... On our son's school, pupils have to pay for the damage they cause or have to help the administrator fix the machines :-) No problems anymore, so far...

Here on my own setup, we educate adults (or those who think they are...), so the problem is more one of ignorance or "this machine is dead" when the monitor is switched off :-)

Clients are 10 to 12 Compaq Deskpro 64Mb, configured using XSERVER=vesa in LTSP. I'm not able to reproduce the problem manually (I guess I'm not that harsh). I have loaded OpenOffice and Firefox on all PCs using only about 60-70% of the server RAM. I have started X11 screen savers with moving graphics on all clients to stress the network but it always works when I'm around.

Try to find out which websites the kids surf to and try to load those pages. Maybe the reason is in Firefox? I've had some of those things here, too.

I hope this rings some bells in someones ears, since I really need some hints for debugging.

Well, I hear the bell ring but I don't quite know where it hangs :-)

Rolf