Ltsp-ers,

would you be so kind to get me updated about booting from the net via pxe,
etherboot and the like.    I understand how it works, but I miss the fine
details to really implement it.  BTW I started to become interested in pxe
after reading an email exchange between Jim McQuillan and Simon Langley about
getting notebooks/laptops connected with a wireless pocket access point
device (wireless bridge) (september last year).   From the wiki I understand
that the notebook should be booted using pxe.... here my adventure
(questions) starts ;)

Sofar I understand that the etherboot images from rom-o-matic can be used for
this purpose.  In my case I have succesfully created floppy boot images.  Is
it now possible (in the client system)  to swap these floppy bootimages for
networkcard pxe images (by programming an eprom image from rom-o-matic) and
have the same machine still booted via the network?  I mean is no there no
bios option that needs to be changed (for example: change boot order.  Make
lan the first thing to try instead of the floppy disk drive).  As far as I
remember I have not seen a 'boot from the lan' option in the bioses that I
have looked at.   Is it like this, that when a pxe image is present in a
network card, it automatically boots the machine?
I did not find this explained on this page:
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/PXE hence I my question.

For the moment I just assume that pxe boots the system when it is present.
This is for my next question.  In case a noteboot does not support pxe on its
own ethernet card (pcmcia card), would the following card make any notebook
pxe enabled:
http://www.argontechnology.com/product.aspx/cid1/103/pid/304 ?
It sounds strange to me, that when a notebook is not aware of pxe on its one
because it was never designed for it, that it would now automatically work
when the above mentioned card is plugged in....

I'll highly appreciate any explanation on pxe.  The wiki pages are good, but
unfortenately they just missed the 2 points mentioned above.

Another question I have (just out of curiousty); what ethercards support pxe
out the box nowadays all?  Or should they all get an eprom to enable pxe?
Same question for notebooks, which notebooks support pxe nowadays, is that
all or for example only the IBM thinkpad (that's the answer from google) ;)

--
TIA

Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless