Breshears Doug P wrote:
Jeff,

This sounds so bad but with 40+ apps you have to support why not just
run Windows natively and provide a NXClient or VNC Client session into an
LTSP
Server for those that would use it.

How does putting another layer over Windows (VMWare) help with the
maintenance of the images? If you are providing the users access to
install their own apps then you will most certainly have the same
maintenance issues that you are trying to be rid of regardless of being
in VMWare or going native.

Thanks, Doug.  If for whatever reason performance is not what I need, or
I hit too many snags along the way (like getting ssh and ltspfs to work
at the same time--see my listserv post of a couple of days ago), I will
indeed have to continue in the fat Windows client path I have been
running in for the last ten years.  I've got another month or so to
figure out if this solution is viable.

I really expect that maintenance of VM's would be easier than the
maintenance of regular Windows PC's.  I don't want to take this
discussion too far off-topic, but I've yet to see a really workable fat
client deployment solution that does everything I want and does it
easily.  It seems much easier to load a VM on my workstation, install a
new application, copy the entire Windows VM out to the thin clients
overnight, and be done with it.  It costs a bit of bandwidth, but our
building is empty at 2am, and therefore not costly in terms of
competition for bandwidth.

I'm really happy to know that what I'm considering sounds like it is, at
least, conceptually, possible.   I'll post the results of my attempts in
a few weeks.

Thanks all,
--
Jeff Beaird