On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 02:41:12PM -0500, Joe Auerbach wrote:
> I am as such.
>
> net <--- firewall <--- ltsp server (which has the mac address to ip
> table) <-- clients.

Ah, I see the problem; All your bits a running in the wrong direction:

Try this configuration instead:

 net --->firewall---> ltsp server --> clients.

        :-)

> Does that make sense?  More or less I'm running perfectly normal ltsp
> straignht out of the book on a static ip system where thed ip addresses
> are assigned on the individual machines (or on hte ltsp server, in the
> case of ltsp).

Yes, seems fine.
Do you still have a question?

> Jeff Kinz wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:17:20AM -0500, Joe Auerbach wrote:
> >

> >>Here's a question.  Since all the machines are actually running locally
> >>on hte ltsp box, do they keep their ip's as far as the firewall is
> >>converned?  That is, will it see ip.box.1 as different from ip.box.2, or
> >>will they all be ip.box.server?
> >>

> >It depends on where the firewall is and how routing the clients boxes
> >requests is being and (finally) how you are  managing your IP address
> >space.
> >
> >In most cases (I think) the LTSP clients get IP addresses which are not
> >ever going to be publicly (Internet) visible so all of their IP
> >traffic gets "NAT'ed" to/from the public IP address which is gateway-ed
> >to the internet.  If your firewall is doing the "NATting" then yes, the
> >firewall sees the internal IP's.  That is the case for many networks
> >that I have done but its not the only way to do it.
> >
> >Many networks separate the NAT and firewall functions to different *boxen
> >for both performance and security reasons.  On those networks, the
> >firewall is usually "outside" (on the internet) and the NAT box is
> >usually "inside" (behind the firewall) so that firewall would never see
> >the internal (LTSP client) IP's.
> >

> >*"boxen"  derivative of "Vaxen" meaning "possibly more than one".
> >

> --
>
> joe auerbach
> systems administrator
> pcb / rossman and co
> 614-523-4150
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

speech recognition software may have been used to create this e-mail

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." - Brandeis

To think contrary to one's era is heroism. But to speak against it is
madness. -- Eugene Ionesco