Joe,
When running LTSP all Firefox instances are running on the server, not on the client. That means all Web traffic is coming from the server, not from each client.

Moral of the story is you can not use squid to do what you are trying to do unless you run Firefox as a local app, which is a whole 'nother can of worms.

You can either treat all traffic the same or you can use something like squidGuard to filter based on username.

Also you have:
acl local-lan0 src 100.100.100.2/255.255.255.0
acl local-lan1 src 100.100.100.113/255.255.255.0
acl local-lan2 src 100.100.100.114

lines #1 and #2 equate to the same thing (100.100.100.0/24)
line #3 needs a netmask i.e. 100.100.100.114/255.255.255.255

Pete Billson
--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Service, Inc.

Joe Auerbach wrote:
So after much debate I decided that firefox alone could do what I wanted, but not with the flexibility of squid, so I'm still going ot try it.

And after about 14 hours of wrestling I got the conf file to the point where squid runs.

Now the only problem is that it doesn't actually prevent web access, as it is written to do and I don't know why.

That said, here's some info about my network. I'd like someone to take a look at my squid.conf file (linked below) and hopefully we'll figure out what's wrong. I think that it would work fine if it were on hte firewall as wrotten, but I can't seem to make it work for the ltsp machine (which is where it's running).

the goal is to have specific machines (in an ip range of about 30 addresses) blocked from web access, but to allow web access for other machines. Ideally the blocked machines would redirect blocked pages to a local html file.

Our network is all behind a basic centOS firewall. The internal ip of the firewall is 100.100.100.254 (it's called rossfire). the ltsp machine's address is 100.100.100.2 and it called ltsp. All the thin clients have an ip range from 100.100.100.110 through about 100.100.100.130. I'm, just testing a few right now and nothing's happening. I'm running a default ltsp setup, really. Nothing fancy at all.
my squid.conf file is at http://www.anivair.com/downloads/squid.conf