On Saturday 08 April 2006 11:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand this.  The "security risk" you mention comes
> from me walking away from my machine.  It doesn't matter whether I go
> for an ice cream cone, or to another machine to log in.  If you're
> saying it's good security practice to log out of your machine when you
> walk away, I supposed I'd agree with you.  But that seems like a
> separate issue.  For that matter, perhaps I have taken care of that by
> using one of these annoying "lock screen until password" screensavers.

[snip]

> Burke Almquist wrote:
> > This "bug" actually makes sense from a security perspective. Since you
> > can't be two places at once physically, why would you want to stay
> > logged in if you leave your machine?  It's a bit of a security risk to
> > do so. In some respect, it's a bug not a feature.
> >
> > On Apr 6, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Ken Tanzer wrote:
> >> I just want to say, though, that being logged in two terminals at
> >> once is rather common, at least for us, and very useful.  (Or, more
> >> precisely, it's very "unuseful" if this doesn't work well.)  I have a
> >> terminal at my desk, which I am typically logged into all the time.
> >> I often will need to log into a terminal somewhere else in the
> >> building, resulting in two simultaneous logins.

KDM and Gnome folk including Firefox, OO seem to be 'young bucks' intent on
telling you how you should use your computer [ooops sounds like a criticism
of MS] and forgetting the long established tried and trusted unix paradigsm.

EG I have 4 development machines in my room. No security, no body else,
multiple logins. Let ME do what I want to do. <sigh>
James