On Monday 10 April 2006 10:41, Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope everyone is doing well.
>
> We recently recieved a donation of 15 HP Vectra VL5 Series 5
> computers, none with hard drives. So of course I'd like to convert
> them to clients.
>
> The issue is with the vide card.  According to the BIOS summary
> screen, it has installed an S3 2 MB video card.  The HP manual says
> that it is specifically a S3 Trio 64V2 Graphics Controller Chip.
>
> When I boot up the client, with xserver set to auto.  I get a blank
> screen when X should be starting.  I can ctrl-alt-backspace it, and
> I'll see text while it compiles the information from lts.conf and then
> it will go back to the blank screen.
>
> If I ctrl-alt-+, it will show me a login screen where all the lines are
> wavey.
>
> If I ctrl-alt-+ again, I will get a normal login screen, except that
> it scrolls around when I move the mouse to the edges (seems like it's
> trying to fit a 800x600 screen on a 640x480 monitor, for example).
>
> I've tried this with 2 different monitors, and I've tried it with
> xserver set to s3 and s3visage or something (I'm sorry I don't have
> the file in front of me) but the same thing happens
>
> What do I need to do to make it work?
>
> Thank you kindly.
> Joseph
2MB RAM can *max* handle 16,777,216 bits, which works to:
1024 x 768 x 16bit
  800 x 600 x 32bit
There may be a limitation in the chip,  but as I remember, those cards could
do the full 1024x768x16 bit colour. X 4 may not have drivers for that chip,
but if you set X_SERVER = vesa you might find that they work ok. I don't know
of any card that detects VESA, but quite a few that work with it.

--
Public Key available Here:
http://www.bravegnuworld.com/~rjune/pubkey.asc