Don,
The quick and easy way to limit the OPACs to just a few sites is to use the Web browser's proxy settings.

On the OPACs set a non-existent machine as the proxy and list the sites you want to allow access to as exceptions. The browser will put up an error for any site not listed as a exception.

I use the .xession file to launch the browser on boot using a script that will relaunch it if it is closed.

Also you will want to lock down the browser so patrons can't adjust the preferences, etc.

If you'd like copies of the browser.jar or .xsession files I use, let me know.

Pete Billson
--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Service, Inc.

Don Robertson wrote:
One thing that I am wondering about. We will be wanting to have
different groups of LTSP users and machines with different access
permissions. One set of machines will be to browse our WebOPAC catalogue
only, and will have almost no access to the internet.

Other machines will be able to browse the internet and intranet -
including home shares etc.

Unless I am missing something, all the clients have the same IP address
as the LTSP server, making it hard to create firewall rules to limit
access to specific machines.

Is there a way to make the clients run under different IP addresses?