Thank you Denis for the answer, I was starting to give up :-)

If I understand you right, you are refering to the script in the LTSP
directory (in my case /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.sound).  When I looked at
that file, I found (line 66):

           export  ESD_SPAWN_OPTIONS="-public"

I did try adding "-public" in the config file for my the server, but
that did not help any.  That got be wondering if a setting on the
servers config file was messing me up.  Currently I have esd being
launched (at the server) with:
   /etc/esound/esd.conf

    [esd]
    auto_spawn=0
    # tried with '-public' but did not help LTSP clients
    spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 5
    spawn_wait_ms=100
    # default options are used in spawned and non-spawned mode
    default_options=

Looking through the 'man esd' I am wondering if I should have
auto_spawn=1 or maybe -tcp as one of the options.  I know I could just
try it out and see, but I am wondering if anyone might know --

Even if one or both of the options work, would I be opening up some
other problem on the server?(the "server" is also my work station)