Hi Krsnendu,

Krsnendu Dasa wrote:
> You mean like MS Access. Can you explain more.
>
> Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
---snip---
>> just adding some info that might be handy when integrating:
>> Some app's, like e. g. those using the MSJet database engine, may run
>> into problems if you put the databases on a Linux file server.

Quoting from a message sent by Lorenzo Benito of Atril (www.atril.com),
the makers of the translation tools (CAT's) I use in my everyday work:

"Linux is unable to handle file locks effectively (in what relates to
remote access to Déjà Vu X databases; I do not intend to discuss the
merits of Windows relative to Linux here). For this reason, sharing
databases located on a Linux machine is much more likely to result in
database corruption than if the database is in a windows machine."

I haven't yet had the time to find out what the exact problem is, and
what the differences might be between the various file systems that
could be used.

He also wrote:
"If database access is handled by the COM+ server (Déjà Vu X Workgroup),
only one application accesses the databases, so problems with file locks
do not apply. Apart form this, since only the database request and its
answer asre sent over the network, and the database themselves are never
read directly by the client machines, using the COM+ server results in
much lower network traffic."

An additional problem that comes to mind in connection with integrating
Windows and LTSP (or any Linux) system, is dongle protected software.

BR,
Gudmund