Okay, here's the followup report. I do get an icon on the desktop now for
my legacy cd (when I insert a disk), but Konqueror shows it to be empty.
The web browsers Firefox and Epiphany, plus gnome-terminal, all fail to
load, though konsole works. When I start firefox under konsole it never
produces any text, nor an icon on the taskbar.

I guess I will have to go back and start disabling things until I have a
browser again, and then see if I can figure out a way to use the good-
looking debugging procedure at the end of the installation of LTSPFS.

-Krishna