Hello,

I'm responsible of the primary and highschools in a muncipality. In
order to increase the number of computers available to the pupils I
consider to install a LTSP system in the largest school (primary school,
about 250 pupils). Currently I have a small lab setup just for testing.
I have currently at least 15 PXE bootable 8 year old Compaq computers
that will function as thin clients, but what about the server?

I consider a:

Dell PowerEdge 2850 2U rack mountable server with:
- 2 3.0 Ghz 64 bit Intel Xeon CPUs
- 4GB DDR2 EEC Memory
- 73 GB 10k RPM SCSI System drive
- 2 146 GB 10k RPM SCSI drives in raid1 for user files
- 2 Gigabit ethernet network interfaces, one connected to the VLAN for
thin clients and one connected to the main network.

Do you think such a server is able to host 30 concurrent LTSP users
running gnome, openoffice and mozilla thunderbird?

Will it have sufficient breath left to serve files to about 15 laptops
and 15 thick clients?

Best regards,

Erling