John-

I'm having some similar trouble, and I've come to suspect the "udev rules"
for fuse need to be revised on my system. Can you post your set somehow?
It is a fairly complicated system/setup, and I'm not sure where mine are
wrong, but I get a /dev/fuse that is owned by root.root instead of
root.fuse on startup.

Thanks for all you do!

-Krishna