Anselm-

It looks like I can use a single DHCP3 server to do both dynamically-
assigned addresses to non-MAC-identified PCs as well as the ones we have
to have MAC-based entries for and assign statically. It's just a matter of
leaving the "get-lease-hostnames           true;" statement out so it does
not conflict with the "use-host-decl-names             on;" statement
required for the MAC- based entries.

Thanks for your help!

-Krishna

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Anselm Martin Hoffmeister wrote:

Am Montag, den 17.07.2006, 10:54 -0400 schrieb Krishna Murphy:
> Hey-
>
> It appears that I need to have two DHCP servers running on one sub-net.
> Apparently this causes a conflict with one in particular (inside a router
> provided by an ISP) and the DHCP3 server under Debian that I'm using to
> identify the workstations (using "use-host-decl-names on;" to make it so)
> and thus make the things that pertain to each of them apply. It works fine
> with a couple of different little wireless routers (one from Vonage) at my
> development/shop site, but not with the one from the ISP.

Perhaps that one sends the "filename" parameter (for whatever reason).

> So - I am given to understand that "there is an option to make your dhcp
> server authoritative and that may help" in this situation. Does anyone
> have a good handle on that to share? I'd really like to resolve this and
> not have to hack things up too much (like segregating my network into
> "non-terminals only here" vs. "terminals only over here".)

Making it authoritative will probably not help too much.

When two DHCP offers are sent to the client and both look valid (i.e.
contain a "filename" or "root-path" resp.), the client will probably
pick the one that arrived first. If that happens to be the router's
packet, bad luck.

I see two viable strategies for you:
1/ Use the alternate DHCP ports (only possible with Etherboot and LTSP
WITHOUT vendor PXE)
2/ Create a separate subnet.

Reconfiguring the router to send out valid root-path and next-server and
filename is probably not possible anyway.

Regards,
Anselm