On Sunday 13 August 2006 03:04, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> Let me clarify about the increasing capacity.  146 GB should be more than
> enough for our needs for the foreseeable future.  I priced a system with
> this capacity for a Raid 1 using two 146 GB drives, and systems with 3 x 73
> GB and 5 x 36 GB drives using Raid 5.  Both of the Raid 5 configurations
> cost more than the Raid 1, I presume because the cost savings of the
> smaller drives was not enough to offset the cost of the extra drive I would
> have to have with Raid 5.
>
> If down the line I wanted to increase our storage capacity, I was wondering
> if I could add a third 146 GB drive and make it a Raid 5.  My big question
> was whether the same Raid controller could do either Raid 1 or 5.
>
> I kind of assumed I would have to rebuild the entire system to do this,
> which you verified with your email.
>
> So that is what I meant.  I hope it makes sense?
>
> Thank you very much for your reponse.
>
> It's been a big learning experience for me, and I appreciate the help

I guess that the original questions have not been asked, so the answers really
depend:

Why raid?
is the complexity of doing and maintaining raid worth the objective?
I can give good arguments for NOT raid, it just depends on what YOU want

Why LVM?
That lets you dynamically extend your disk size
The cost is reliability

If cost and size are constraints the new 300G WD disks, heck even the Seagate
1T disks are cheap and relatively cheap.
Me I choose expensive! WD raptors in a LVM for the server, with 2/3 times a
week BU to 300G WD.

I can restore my server in an hour or so, that suits me, and I've not needed
to do so in 3 odd years.

The bottom line is
Questions
Answers
Choice

Easy to get carried away with a solution otherwise
James