Elis sI appreciate the advice very much -- really, I do -- but when I price
out the components to build the server myself, the numbers just don't ever
seem to come out saving me more than about $300.  And for that, I'd rather
have someone else build the thing.

Yes, if I skimp out and choose some of the slower processors, etc., I can
save more a little more money, but not all that terribly much.  At most I
might save a third -- not build it for a third.

I tried to price out a server based on what you recommended.  Here is what I
came up with:

 AMD Dual-Core Opteron 270 Italy 1000MHz HT 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 940
Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103552 --  $461.00 x
2 = $922.00

 TYAN S2895UA2NRF Dual Socket 940 NVIDIA nForce4 Professional SSI EEB 3.5
Server Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813151149 --  $539.99

 Patriot Signature 2GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Registered DDR 400 (PC 3200)
System Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220098 --  $286.99 x
4 = $1147.96

 HITACHI Ultrastar 10K300 HUS103014FL3600 (08K2479) 147GB 10,000 RPM 8MB
Cache SCSI Ultra320 68pin Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145078 -- $279.99 x
2 = 559.98

Just that comes to $3,169.93 -- and there is still more to buy.

Or am I doing something completely stupidly wrong in the way I am pricing
this out?  That could be.  And if so, feel free to tell me -- but more
importantly, please tell me how to do it right, because I just don't get it.

I mean, yes, it makes sense that building it yourself should save a person
money, but the numbers are just not coming out that way for me.

Again, I thank you; but what am I missing?

fp