Peter,

as of RAID, it completely depends on the controller. The "less expensive" controllers only support RAID 0, 1 and possibly 10. Only the "more expensive" controllers can handle RAID5 because of much more complicated logic, data checksumming etc.. I  can only speak about Adaptec SCSI controllers since we have 3 of these, but the RAID5 capable controller costs at least $500.

I have checked the pricelist, and if I compare Seagate SCSI drives, 2x146GB costs cca 40% more than 3x73GB! With Fujitsu drives, it is 60% more! I wonder, if Your calculations are right.

    Sincerely Peter

Hieromonk Peter  wrote / napísal(a):
Let me clarify about the increasing capacity.  146 GB should be more than
enough for our needs for the foreseeable future.  I priced a system with
this capacity for a Raid 1 using two 146 GB drives, and systems with 3 x 73
GB and 5 x 36 GB drives using Raid 5.  Both of the Raid 5 configurations
cost more than the Raid 1, I presume because the cost savings of the smaller
drives was not enough to offset the cost of the extra drive I would have to
have with Raid 5.

If down the line I wanted to increase our storage capacity, I was wondering
if I could add a third 146 GB drive and make it a Raid 5.  My big question
was whether the same Raid controller could do either Raid 1 or 5.

I kind of assumed I would have to rebuild the entire system to do this,
which you verified with your email.

So that is what I meant.  I hope it makes sense?

Thank you very much for your reponse.

It's been a big learning experience for me, and I appreciate the help.

With kind regards,

Peter, hieromonk