Hi
I have the dreaded NFS timeouts with my systems [server a PCI rtl8139, client
an intel e1000 on crosover cable]

OK the wiki needs some work. I'll do it if I can get this to run

I want to make an init (linuxrc) with 8k block size, so as a first step:

initramfs.gz is a gzip'ed cpio archive.
I unpack it, get a list of files

zcat /tftpboot/lts/2.6.17-ltsp-1/initramfs.gz |cpio -i

I pack it up again

find . | cpio -o >/tmp/initramfz
zip it up
gzip [-9] /tmp/initramfs

copy it to the tftpboot

cp /tmp/initramfs.gz /tftpboot/lts/2.6.17-ltsp-1

boot the pxe client and get
No filesystem could mount root, tried ext2:
Kernel panic --

OK, here be magic and dragons, what is happening, what don't I understand?
cpio -t on the original and on my file look identical.

Thanks
James