If you use "get-lease-hostnames" instead of "use-host-decl" in your
dhcpd.conf, the hostnames passed to the thin client will come
from /etc/hosts (or DNS).  So, you can use that trick in the generic
section, and then just have hostname entries in /etc/hosts for each IP
in the "range".

NOTE:

Be sure to put:

<ip> <hostname>

in /etc/hosts and NOT

<ip> <hostname.domainname>

if you use hostnames in your lts.conf file when you specify settings.

HTH,

-Gideon

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 16:22 +0200, Richard Bos wrote:
> This piece of magic looks very interesting as it may prevent a lot of system
> administration work:
> subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>     range   192.168.0.100   192.168.0.199;
>     if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient" {
>         filename "/tftpboot/lts/2.4.26-ltsp-3/pxelinux.0";
>     }
>     else{
>         filename "/tftpboot/lts/vmlinuz-2.4.26-ltsp-3";
>     }
> }
> It's from: http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/DhcpExample
>
> But will this allow the current locale device impletation still to keep on
> working.  AFAIK the current locale device implementation needs names to be
> able to work.  In the configuration above no names are configured, in
> contradiction to my dhcp file, that has e.g.:
>
> host ws01 {
>   hardware ethernet ............;
>   fixed-address ...........;
>   filename............;
> }
>
> if the host { } is left out of configuration file, the workstation may get
> different ip addresses each times it connects to the server.  It will get the
> name that corresponds to the ip address from the DNS server so, all in all it
> looks to me that "substring" dhcp configuration will just work, but a
> confirmation would be nice.
>
> A related question to this, in case the thin client needs requires additional
> options, can this work in combination with the "substring" dhcp
> configuration?  If this can work how should it be done?  If;
>
> host ws15 {
>   hardware ethernet ............;
>   fixed-address ...........;
>   filename............;
>   option option-128 .........;
>   option option-129 .........;
> }
>
> Doesn't the 'host ws15' configuration conflict with the name given out by the
> DNS server?
> Perhaps I get it, the ip range of the subnet of the "substring" dhcp
> configuration, should be outside the ip addresses that the "host {  }" part
> gives out.  Is that correct?

Gideon Romm | Proud LTSP Developer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Support LTSP!  Buy your hardware at:

        www.DisklessWorkstations.com
        www.DisklessThinClients.com

(use coupon code: LTSP5P for 5% off thin clients from DisklessThinClients.com)