Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> Torsdag 05 oktober 2006 19:37 skrev Gudmund Areskoug:
>> Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
>>> As usual, any hint is greatly appreciated!
>> just a shot in the dark: what lib's etc. (versions) are needed for
>> compilation, and which ones do you have in SuSE 9.1? Perhaps going with
>> OpenSUSE 10.1 would help?
>
> Hi Gudmund and list,
>
> - ah, good to see the list is on-line again :-)
> I downloaded everything once again and started all over. Did the prepare-all
> thing with the kernel source. That did it. Compiled just straight.

Congratulations!

> I'm stuck with SuSE9.2 as that is the production machine pulling some +50
> students with LTSP. I'd REALLY like to switch to 10 or 10.1, but it's got
> more than 300 accounts and GIGA bytes in /home.

Been there, done that. Only I had to do it the first time because the
old machine crashed... Knoppix and an extra CD drive/burner to the
rescue. Later on an upgrade, using a variety of the scenario below.

How about using different disks, installing 10.1 (10.2 is coming up
later this autumn, and I know there's a Danish transtlation team working
on it :) ) on it overnight, or on a/the new server, then just moving
along the old disk, bringing across the user data (logins etc.) and
mounting the old /home straight in, for later transfer to something
better (if necessary)?

> Of course, we'll have to get round to do it one of these days...
>
> Thank you for your answer.

You're welcome :).

BR,
Gudmund