Gavin,
In my classroom I have some of those old machines, a PR233 on a AMIBOIS from 1988 for example, and I have discovered that as long as I can get 128 meg of RAM into it somehow they work.  I have one board that only uses 72 pin SIMM sticks.  I added a RAM multiplier I found at a yard sale and it is probably the most stable terminal I have.  All I can say is if it works kids can use it.
Bye,
Pat