Jason-

It sounds like you need to run the "install" script in the LTSP-esd-alsa
package again.  If you updated LTSP 4.2 recently, it may have
overwritten the changes that that install script does.

Since the LTSP-esd-alsa package should have the thin clients using ALSA
rather than OSS for sound, you should not see any /dev/dsp errors on
startup. (/dev/dsp is only used in OSS).  If you see these messages, it
means that the LTSP-esd-alsa package is not installed properly nad
should be re-installed.

In particular, you need to make sure that the "rc.sound" file that comes
with the package is installed to /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.sound

HTH,

-Gadi

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 13:16 -0500, Jason A. Chase wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to get ESD working with LTSP 4.2 and a Symbiont SYM1110 terminal.
> On boot the terminal loads the sound module without error but then does not
> create the /dev/dsp device file.  ESD fails to start.
>
> I'm following the directions here:
>

> http://www.thesymbiont.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=345&Itemid=110
>
> Which state:
>
> Audio
>
>   LTSP 4.2:
>
>   The SYM1110 uses the "snd-cs5535audio" ALSA driver that comes with the 2.6
> kernel.  Unfortunately, there is no OSS driver for the SYM1110 for the 2.6
> kernel (which is used in LTSP 4.2).  To install ALSA support along with
> autodetection of the SYM1110, please download this package:
>
>   http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/symbiont/LTSP-esd-alsa.tgz?download
>
> Which I installed.
>
> In my lts.conf I have the following:
>
> [sym1110]
>         SMODULE_01 = snd-cs5535audio
>         SOUND = Y
>         XSERVER = nsc
>
> In addition to the default settings.
>
> [Default]
>         SERVER             = 172.16.1.9
>         XSERVER            = auto
>         X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "PS/2"
>         X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/psaux"
>         X_MOUSE_RESOLUTION = 400
>         X_MOUSE_BUTTONS    = 3
>         USE_XFS            = N
>         SCREEN_01          = startx
>         SCREEN_02          = shell
>         SOUND_DAEMON       = esd
>
>         PRINTER_0_WRITE_ONLY    = Y
>
>         ALLOW_SHUTDOWN     = Y
>         ALLOW_PROCREAD     = Y
>         VOLUME             = 75 # Speaker & WAVE volume pecentage
>         MIC_VOLUME         = 100 # Microphone volume
>         CD_VOLUME          = 75  # CD Audio volume
>
>         LOCAL_STORAGE = Y
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Gideon Romm | Proud LTSP Developer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Support LTSP!  Buy your hardware at:

        www.DisklessWorkstations.com
        www.DisklessThinClients.com

(use coupon code: LTSP5P for 5% off thin clients from DisklessThinClients.com)