Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> Onsdag 20 december 2006 13:27 skrev Noel:
>
>> Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> - just did a SuSE10.1 from scratch with LTSP4.2u4.
>>>
>>> - I followed the wiki regarding sound to the point. I have sound if I
>>> open a shell (from a client, on the desktop of the client) and
>>> do: "esdplay /usr/..somepath-to-test.wav". This plays just fine.
>>>
>>> - but if I setup sound from within KDE (networked sound ON and all), no
>>> luck. - I modif'd /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.sound with the -public parameter
>>> as per the wiki. No luck.
>>> - I tried both kernels, no luck.
>>> - my lts.conf is correct, I believe.
>>> - I tried nasd, no sound. Only esd gives med sound (of course...) in the
>>> aforementioned shell.
>>>
>>> LTS.CONF:
>>> SERVER             = 172.16.9.140
>>>         ...stuff omitted...
>>>         SOUND              = Y
>>>         SOUND_DAEMON       = esd
>>>         #SOUND_DAEMON       = nasd
>>>

>>> I have overlooked something, what??
>>>
>>> As always, any hint/help is much appreciated!
>>>
>>> BTW/OT: On SuSE10.2, try the vlc package for DVD video. It's just
>>> perfect! SuSE now has no hassles DVD video :-)
>>>
>> For KDE try, too, my method of using "env" folder. It's not at wiki
>> (yet) 'cos it's very recent and kind of untested by other people. Find
>> it at list archives at
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ltsp-discuss&m=116498398700650&w=2
>>
>> Noel
>> er Envite
>>

> Hi again,
>
> I tried Franks's approach first, no luck. Then I reenabled/played with all
> sorts of settings/combinations, no luck.
>
> I then went for Noel's approach. No luck. And, the env/startsound.sh GETS
> called, I modif'd it slightly to report to a log. It indeed does set the
> environment vars as expected. Just checked it.
> And, I can still play sound if I open a terminal (on the client) and
> do "/usr/esdplay file-to-play.wav". Sounds is really good.
>
> And if I instruct KDE to use /usr/esdplay for playing system sounds, they
> work
> just fine. But - and this is important - I do NOT get the welcome sound
> otherwise allways played by KDE on login. So I reverted to the normal default
> KDE setting here.
>
> This tells me that sound is generally NOT working. And yes, I set KDE to use
> OSS.
>
> Now I'd really like to watch a log somewhere in order to get further. It
> really bugs me, having to struggle with this - and it also bugs me to have to
> disturb other friendly people who are actually helping . I do hope you know
> it's highly appreciated!

Please try one thing at terminal from within KDE:

send some sound to /dev/dsp (you can use mpg321 or any other command
line player that uses OSS, or simply cat /vmlinuz>/dev/dsp) to see (and
hear) if libraries are BEING preloaded and thus OSS->ESD redirection is
working. The point is not only to have 'esdplayers' working, but to have
libraries preloaded to have 'ossplayers' working and redirecting to ESD.

Noel
er Envite