David Kennel wrote:
> I am piloting an LTSP based solution. Due to our security requirements
> I have had to tweak the configuration quite a bit to harden the
> system. I have moved the clients to encrypted connections based on
> FreeNX but the clients are still opening their X11 servers to dog +
> world. Does anyone know of a good way to shut this down or at least
> verifiably limit the traffic to the server.
>
> I have considered moving all the traffic to an encrypted VPN but
> cannot find good documentation on this process.

David-

I haven't tried this, but the terminal kernels should be able to use the
built-in Linux firewall iptables to block all but expected traffic.  You
may have to copy the iptables utils into $LTSP/i386 so they can be run
by the terminals.  Once you get the rules you want (there are web sites
that can build these for you), add a script to $LTSP/etc/rc.d and call
it by adding a line to lts.conf like this: RC_FILE=myscript.sh .

My next question is how you "moved the clients to encrypted connections
based on FreeNX".  Does LTSP come with a freenx client already installed
now?  Or do your clients log in to the terminal server and then run
freenx from the server to the remote server?  I would be curious to
learn what heavy lifting you had to do to get freenx installed on the
terminal as a default client (like we already have with X11, rdesktop,
and telnet).

Finally, LTSP is not necessarily intended to be a secure traffic
solution, but a trusted LAN solution.  Any time you have NFS, SMB, or
any non-ssh file sharing such as we use for LTSP (to run the terminals),
you need to place some trust on your physical LAN.  You could adopt a
fully encrypted solution for files and X11 traffic, but if you start
encrypting the X11 traffic using SSH, freenx, RDP, etc, you introduce
latency that can be felt by the user.  It's not so bad when you use it
over the Internet/WAN, but it can be felt on a LAN versus an unencrypted
X11 session.

-Todd