Hi Frank,
>> I was just considering the possibilities of something like a portable LTSP
>> terminal.  Kind of a mini-laptop, minus most of the stuff that gives a laptop
>> its weight and fragility.  If it had a wireless network card, it would be the
>> ultimate portable computer to use around the house or the office or whatever.
>> Just crank it up and log into your LTSP server and away you go.
>>
>> Does anything like this currently exist?
>>

> I know of a client of ours who has a viewsonic (something 100 something
> IIRC) which is something like you describe. But unfortunately it only
> has WinCE (or so) and rdp. But that _could_ be remediated, couldn't it? ;-)

There is not yet a PXE standard for wireless card. So I think you'll
have to fit a CF card into your laptop with a mini linux distro
(something like thinstation, http://thinstation.sourceforge.net, but I
didn't saw any wireless card support overthere). Once wifi connection is
up your can launch a XDMCP request to the ltsp server. However, if your
wifi connection quality is poor, you may have to consider NX protocol.

Another option might be to set up a ethernet bridge over wifi with a
dedicated hardware, but I guess it won't be very sexy to glue it to your
laptop and wire the powersupply on your battery :-)

Cheers,

Denis

> Cheers
>
> Udo
> - --
> i-nex Gesellschaft für linuxbasierte Netze mbH
>
> Hüttenstr. 7
> 52068 Aachen
> Tel.: +49 241 18 94 100
> Fax : +49 241 18 94 102