A long post. Sorry. Type A ?problem solvers read the background section and
last 4 paragraphs. ltsp developers read the last paragraph first then start
back at the top. The middle sections documents some issues I had and
resolved. Hopefully someone else will save some time when Google indexes the
list.

A little background
* server and client use debian etch (needed the newer kernel but wanted a
"stock install")
* installed ltsp via deb packages (ubuntu sourced I believe)
* clients are simply loading root and automounting /home. All services are
local.

Running into a few small issues. The ones I have fixed:
* Had to empty /etc/hostname to get the client to use DHCP supplied hostname
* Had to edit <chroot>/etc/initramfs/modules to get the sis190 module in thh
init image.
* The PXE --> linux kernel DHCP config required some funky dhcpd.conf settings
as I don't really want to list mac addresses in dhcpd.conf. Basically had to
"double class" using matches to make certain that the ltsp clients stay in a
specific subnet.
        class "kidcompinit" {
                match if ... = "PXEClient";
????????}
????????class "kidcomprunt" {
????????????????match if ... = "Linux ipc";
????????}
????????subnet 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 {
????????????????option ....
????????????????.....
????????????????pool {
????????????????????????allow "kidcompinit";
????????????????????????allow "kidcomprunt";
????????????????????????range ....
????????????????????????....
????????????????}
????????????????pool {
????????????????????????deny "kidcompinit";
????????????????????????deny "kidcomprunt"
????????????????????????range ....
????????????????????????......
????????????????}
If anyone sees a better way to do this let me know. I tried matching the first
four bytes of the MAC but that just didn't work (all terms are using same
nic).
</fixed>

So what I can't seem to really fix is

*remote syslog. ?If I edit <chroot>/etc/init.d/ltsp-client-setup and restart
sysklogd as the last line of the start case everything works. Anything else
fails. I have examined syslog.conf on the terminal post boot and the entries
are correct. Just nothing logs. A manual restart of sysklogd and everything
is fine. I would like to not use customized ltsp-client-setup and that is
just "a bad idea"

* sound. Using 2.6.18 and udev I get no /dev/dsp and I can't seem to get KDE
to use the /dev/snd devices. Remember that the xserver and desktop are local
so there should be no need for network sound. I use KDE on my sun
microsystems and other Intel/AMD workstations with no problem so I am pretty
sure I am setting up the desk top correctly. Sound is recognized as a SIS
AC97 and loads the i810 module stack.

If the ltps dev team is reading this I would like to thank you for this
excellent package. I have previously use diskless and lessdisks with success
(I believe these efforts are all together in ltsp as I recognize some names).
ltsp is giving me the ability to stop recommending Sun Ray. Thank you. Thank
you. Thank you.

jodell