Ken-

Running Windows under VMWare on Linux would still require a Windows
server license + Client Access Licenses, and probably introduce VMWare
peculiarities, so unless he can get the application running under
wine/crossover (a pretty decent possibility), it sounds like the only
route is to keep the Windows TS for this Windows-only application, and
use LTSP + terminals to run general office software and connect to the
application via rdesktop.  Rdesktop has an 'application mode' that can
appear to run a single application at a time that could help in this
case, versus having two separate desktops.

-Todd