On 3/15/07, Francisco Cervilla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi!.
>
> my clients are  EPATec   eTC Vortex86 200MHz 128M.
> This work fine with ubuntu 6.0 and ltsp4.
>
> Now, i buy new server, and install ubuntu 6.10 and
> ltsp5, and the clients works very, very slow. Other
> client (pc), work fine.
>
> why?? is the client good?.

Is your boot up slow or is just the session that's slow?

I recently switched to ltsp5 with ubuntu 6.10 too.  I believe this has
something to do with ssh tunnel created with LTSP's display manager,
ldm.  I tried running old clients (133MHz) and they would literally
take forever to boot.  After that, I recall the session be sluggish
but I'd have to double check that.  When I asked around I was told to
switch to the native, unencrypted gdm on Ubuntu via the SCREEN_nn
option in the lts.conf file.

Being used to ltsp4.x I figured that was a slam dunk.  Unfortunately,
I'm not used to the new boot process that comes with ubuntu 6.10
called "upstart".  The key is o make sure the server is not using any
ttys that you attempt to allocate as a SCREEN in the lts.conf file ...
I think.  I just found this out a couple of days ago and really
haven't been able to test it out.

If this is the same problem you're having, I believe it should be very
common for everyone using slow clients with ltsp5 on Ubuntu 6.10.

-kevin