Hi Robert and al.

fat diskless setup have been around for already quite a while (see for
example the Solstice projet of the former Solunix startup
http://www.solunix.fr/solstice/principe.html warning : page in French).
This is indeed a great solution for multimedia apps compared to
--current-- state of the art LTSP. However, most of the limitation you
are mentioning are just minor technical issues. All of them can be
addressed with extension to current technologies, like network-optimized
pulseaudio, virtualGL, ltsp aware gstreamer framework etc.

To my mind LTSP is here to stay for a long time. LTSP is not only a way
of cutting IT cost, it is also a part of a revolution of the computing
paradigm. Up to now people where using PCs, --Personal Computer--.
Personnaly I have not used a PC for quite a long time. I just use my
Personal Session (no place's better than $HOME :-). Whether I'm at work
or on the road, I'll be using LTSP or NX client to connect to my work
session. When I'm off duty, I'll be using LTSP or NX client to connect
to my home server. My personal environment follows me where I am.

Fat diskless client makes this impossible. There are just a nowadays
solution for a nowadays problem. They are not the solution for the future.

So I wouldn't say "LTSP future: local apps", I'd say "heavy multimedia
LTSP now: local apps".

Cheers,

Denis

--