On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 08:13:11AM -0400, joe auerbach wrote:
> My problem yesterday (the root of it) was that the server started moving
> so slowly that the thin clients were more or less a parking lot.  it
> made it hard to do anything on either a thin client or locally.  it felt
> like too little ram or something.

There's about a BILLION and one tools for determining what's going on
inside a linux box.  Things like:

top: for a quick look.
free: for finding out ram resources.
vmstat: for getting a look at the VM subsystem:
netstat: looking at network connections, retries, etc.
good 'ol ps: lots of good info here.

There's lots of other tools as well for determining what's going on.

> What are the odds that it's the fault of either feisty or ltsp 5?  It
> seems like it must be one of those two things, because that's all I've
> got going on here.

So, I'm going down the highway, and I'm not moving anymore.  It seems
like it must be either the car, or the road, because that's all that's
going on here.

C'mon, Joe, gonna have to raise the hood and take a look at the engine.
Could be other things as well: bad network hub/switch, faulty network
card, bad power/powersupply, etc etc etc.

Until you give us, oh, I don't know, a little bit of DETAIL, it's gonna
be hard to diagnose.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "Eternity is a very long time,
Systems Department |  especially towards the end."