On 5/7/07, David Heinzerling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 We are using a Smoothwall Express firewall setup with Dansguardian/Squid
set to request ident responses.  However, when I run an ident server
(oidentd or ident2) on our LTSP box and more than 5 people start accessing
the internet, the server is overrun with ident requests and it slows to a
crawl.  Is anyone here using a similar setup that is working?

I had a similar problem with identd on a K12LTSP server making the system
basically unusable when more than a few people were browsing.

My solution was to have a copy of Squid running on the K12LTSP server that
cached to a small amount of RAM only and performed user authentication
against Samba (I found Samba authentication the easiest to get running).
Squid then passes the request and the username to my real proxy server
(Dansguardian / Squid / Squidguard).

I still have identd running on the K12LTSP server, but it is only used for
web apps running on that server.