On Saturday 30 June 2007 03:06, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> I have set up several LTSP 4 servers in the past using FC 4 -6 with very
> little problems. I am building a LTSP - thin client setup for a call
> center in Portland Oregon and I started off with Fedora 7. I have been
> having major issues getting  the KDM  login to work.  Seems there is
> some sorta bug in the KDM or kdm_greet that I have been unable to
> resolve. After spending about 10 hours researching this and trying all
> kinds of fixes / workarounds I am looking to new distro. I just wanted
> some input from others as to what they are running. I am looking to use
> Ubuntu preferably Kubuntu as I don't care much for Gnome, KDE fan. I am
> just not sure which Version of Kubuntu to use as I have never ran any of
> the Ubuntu distros. I am very fond of Debian and have been using it
> since the days of downloading several floppies to install the base
> system and net install over a dial-up.
>
> Here is the errors from my log in case some one has any other input. I
> am also willing to work with anyone that is trying to get Fedora 7 up
> and running proper as I have another lab in-house, but for the moment I
> have a week to get the call center up.
>
> LTSP version 4-2
[snip]

I think that you are taking a big risk assuming that kde,fedora,amd-64 is the
issue here. These are well used, known to work, areas of the world.

There *may* be issues with 8G ram and the above.

There *may* be issues with hardware.

Swapping Distro's is a risky path: The same issue may occur in another distro
and you've proved NOTHING.

I'd start by winding the server down to 1G RAM, then taking small steps to
identify the area of issue. You could also start by installing a 32bit
CentOS, SuSE, heck even Fedora and trying that (The performance diff 32 to 64
is small, probably under 10%, but it would give some milestones)
Going to the Debian way from the RedHat way is quite a significant step, so
I'd ignore ubuntu for the moment. (but it's worth doing for your own
edification and delight)
James