Hi Jim,

Jim McQuillan wrote:
> Unfortunately, while we agree that LTSP should be considered a service
> like Apache and Samba, there's a huge difference between those projects
> and LTSP.  Those projects sit on top of a distro.  LTSP needs deep
> integration with the distro.  For LTSP-5 to work on Suse, it needs to
> use much of the infrastructure of Suse as its core.  This turns out to
> be a HUGE amount of work to get it integrated.

since LTSP runs on SUSE, I very much hope they'll not make the best the
enemy of the good, and Just Make It Work as a first step, *then* tune it.

I was under the impression that things LTSP were progressing fairly well
at/in SUSE, including some education-targeted initiative. Will have to
check what's going on.

> We've always said that we're willing to help distros integrate LTSP into
> their product.  But, like I've said before, this requires a huge effort
> on their part.  If Suse (or anyone) is really interested in doing this,
> they need to show up at the table ready to do some serious work.  We
> don't have a clear path of how each distro can do this.  We do ALL of
> our development on the #ltsp IRC channel.  All discussions about how we
> do things take place there.
>
> There's been an amazing amount of work done between the Ubuntu, Debian
> and LTSP developers to make this all work.

Good for Ubuntu and Debian if it works out well, bad for SUSE if they
don't do it.

> It really does require actual distro team people from each distro to
> help make this happen.  Getting ANY package included in a distro is much
> harder than it used to be, and when a package requires twisting and
> molding of things like init scripts, initramfs images, kernels, session
> scripts and other things, it's just not going to ever get included in a
> particular distro unless that distro's guys are deeply involved.

...and/or someone who knows how to handle YaST/make YaST modules,
perhaps, for SUSE.

BR,
Gudmund