We at O'Reilly are rolling out an LTSP 4.2 system on top of SLES 10 using
the x3200-4363 models to all 1800 of our stores.

This system is enabling the rollout of a Java based Graphical Point of Sale
system that uses the existing RPG business logic from the back-end running
on System i servers.  We have one System x3200 and one System i520 in each
store which handle all the business logic for a store to do business even
if communications to corporate are down (except for ordering type
functions).

We have written numerous scripts, mostly for the purpose of helping our
stores in the transition from green screen only business to the new
Graphical Point of Sale without losing their current effectiveness level.

We are using IceWM to facilitate a lighter weight more rigid environment.
They cannot have icons on their desktop, cannot change anything on the
login etc.  Currently we only have the stores running 3 applications:
Firefox, our Graphical Point of Sale, and tn5250j for green screen
emulation (some apps have not had a graphical front end written yet).

We use Cups and lp5250d to handle printing from the System i.

At some point it is very likely that we will begin purchasing thin clients
that have hardware unsupported by the current LTSP 4.2 kernel and will have
to go through the enjoyment of compiling a newer kernel, but we haven't had
any significant trouble using LTSP 4.2 as of yet.

For our thin clients, we are using Visara model 1883 (Visara has since been
bought out by Neoware), and Neoware model e90 units at our stores.  We have
over 14k thin clients deployed.

I'd be happy to discuss anything else if anyone has thoughts or questions.

Jeremy Young
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
O'Reilly Auto Parts
(417) 862-2674 x1858