While I'm waiting to get the hardware together I'm trying to learn as
much as possible.  Hopefully that will save me some time and
headaches.

So, I have some very basic questions.

I plan on using Edubuntu Gutsy.  I've read most if not all of the
Edubuntu docs on LTSP.  It's my understanding that LTSP-5 is
significantly different from LTSP-4 and that the ltsp-4.1 docs may not
apply much to LTSP-5.  Correct?

1) Is there a document that gives and overview of the differences
between LTSP-4 and LTSP-5?

2) Network Topology?

This is a school with a number of classrooms with about six old G3
iMacs each spread about in three buildings.  There's an
existing dchcpd server running on the network.

My initial demo setup will be just one set of client computers in one
location.  But, I'm curious about setting up the network.  The Edubuntu
site shows two setups[1], one where the server has two NICs and the
other with just one.  I'm assuming the sever will have two NICs, but
I'm curious if there's a way to use the existing LAN and a single
server, but with clients in different class rooms or buildings.
I suspect there will be IP filtering on the server, so two NICs and
separate wiring for the subnet is probably required.

1 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPWiring

3) How do I boot older G3 iMacs?

The clients will likely be older G3 iMacs -- those translucent
ones with the handles built-in on the top.

http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/CpuArchitectures#LTSP_on_Nubus_Macintosh_5260_610

it seems I can't count on network boot.  But, I also don't really
follow that explanation of how to get them to boot.

I think the iMacs have OS 9, but that can be replaced if needed.  Or
maybe I can boot off a CD.  Can someone offer a bit of guidance how to
proceed with those clients?

Or is there an easier way to boot/install from the Classroom server
PowerPC version from here?

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/ports/releases/gutsy/release/

4) Can more powerful clients run some/all apps locally?

Finally, we also have a number of nice Dells that were donated -- P4
3.0GHz with 1GB.  Rather powerful machines to use as just thin
clients.  Is it possible to run apps directly on these machines as
clients?  Are there docs explaining this configuration?

5) Finally, if I have mixed clients (powerPC and i386) will I need to
tie MAC addresses to entries in dhcpd to specify the root-path?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]