On Tuesday 27 November 2007 16:36, george kocke wrote:
> Is anyone using LTSP / K12LTSP with Apple's Mac OS X Server and Open
> Directory?
>
> We are expanding the use of Macs in our school and I'm looking to get OS
> X server to manage them.
>
> The Open Directory part of OS X Server looks like it may solve my
> authentication needs. Is anyone using this with LTSP or K12LTSP?

I haven't done this yet (waiting for new Mac server to arrive), but I have
looked into doing this and it should be possible. Apple's "Open Directory" is
built with OpenLDAP (alongside other technologies) and their custom schema
are completely public.

I have a fairly extensive background in LDAP and Linux, but very little Apple
admin time. At present I have one computer lab (20 stations) using Mac OS X,
authenticating from K12LTSP5EL (CentOS5) with smbldap (one primary and one
replicant server). This is temporary while we are waiting for the Mac
server(s) to get here so I can try OpenDirectory for cross-platform
authentication. The same SMBLDAP service is used by an LTSP server, several
stand-alone dataless Linux workstations (NFS /home), and a few Windows XP
workstations (NT Domain) as well as the Mac stations. Mac OS X servers should
be able to perform the same tricks plus provide better Mac support.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |