On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 11:51 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Mo, 2007-11-26 at 19:14 +0100, Gregory, Joseph wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Your step by step description is not really what the folks at Ubuntu had
> > in mind with their attempt at "hands-off", quick start installation.
> >
> > So I can now say that my process is stopping before it gets the
> > initramfs via TFTP!
> >
> well, i *am* the "folks at Ubuntu" at least if it comes to LTSP for the
> last two years :) and i know it works as hands-off solution for the
> majority of people...

Ooops. Sorry if that came across the wrong way. I really appreciate the
effort you guys are making and hope I can do my bit to promote both
Ubuntu and LTSP!

> if your initramfs isnt retrievd thats clearly a problem with your dhcp
> setup, either your filename directive in the dhcpd.conf is wrong (which
> is not teh case if the dhcpd.conf was the one from /etc/ltsp), your
> inetd isnt runnning to start tftpd on requests or (the most common
> error) you have another dhcp server running in your network that answers
> faster and simply doesnt have a filename directive set.

Working simply with a cross-over cable gives the same result so I really
don't think this is a DHCPD problem

> note that setting up i386 clients on amd64 was never really a hands-off
> install (not as much manual work as powerpc, but still, you have to
> adjust some stuff (patches happily accepted indeed ;) ... )), even
> though i suspect you might have found a bug in the setup scripts here if
> there is no other dhcpd on a router or so ...

Now you tell me, I presumed by prurchasing a 64 bit pc, it would be
better for the server environment, now it may actually be the cause of
all my problems :-(

> if thats not the case, does your inetd.conf have an uncommented entry
> for tftp and does it point to /var/lib/tftpboot as it should ?

tftp entry is uncommented and is as follows;
"tftp           dgram   udp     wait
root  /usr/sbin/in.tftpd /usr/sbin/in.tftpd -s -v /var/lib/tftpboot"

> ciao
>       oli

Thanks and apologies for the "Hands-off" comment

Joe