Hi Gavin,
what worked for me (on a normal old PC) was this:
I plugged in the cfcard via adapter as hda, booted a live Linux from cd
and used fdisk to give the cf a ext2 file system. Than I made a
/boot/grub dir on /dev/hda1 and 'just' copied menue.lst, stage1 and
stage2 there. Than I installed grub in the mbr (with the grub shell) of
/dev/hda1.
I fetched the boot-rom from rom-o-matic (the grub/lilo image *.zlilo)
and placed it in /boot.

Edit menu.lst to this:
timeout   0
title   LTSP
root   (hd0,0)
kernel   /boot/your_romimage.zlilo

OK thats not a pxe boot, but it works (at least for me)