Can anyone give an update on this issue? Last I heard it was discussed
last September.

I can provide any information anyone needs regarding my setups. In fact,
here it is:

1) Ubuntu Gutsy (both i386 and AMD64) on the LTSP servers (3 total
servers so far) - Desktop and Server installs (all running latest Gnome,
OpenOffice, Firefox, all updates applied regularly)

2) HP Proliant ML370 G5 servers.  All have 8GB RAM, all but one are 2x
dualcore Xeon 1.6GHz, one is dual-quadcore Xeon 3.0GHz.

3) All i386 clients - 2 labs full of Compaq iPaq Legacy-free PC
C500/810e clients, and 1 full of Neoware e100 thin-clients

4) My 'lspci -vv' can be found here (regarding the more common server):
http://pastebot.ltsp.org/419 I can't do an lspci -vv on clients as I am
not onsite and can only access the servers remotely.

5) The most common switches we use are 3COM 10/100 (with 1000 modules in
some).

6) Common lts.conf is as follows, but not entirely uniform yet:

[default]
X_COLOR_DEPTH   = 24
SOUND = true
SOUND_DAEMON    = pulse

THE ISSUE:

I've experienced this at all 3 sites so far (there are more to deploy) -
open OpenOffice Writer, select Tools -> Gallery, drag/drop and move
around a bunch of high-quality clipart images onto the new document.
Watch it slow to a crawl and eventually die.

Also, open Firefox and visit any site with incredibly intensive graphics
(like Jim's site a long time ago - not sure if it's still up). Watch
xrestop's output progress to the total amount of memory on the client,
and eventually crash it.

I know about XRAMPERC, but according to my earlier post, here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ltsp-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net/msg32447.html

None of my iPaq thin clients will boot when that is in place, with
whatever value you put in.

So if I can help out with anything else, please ask (Not sure exactly
how this list replies to you but I'll try and keep an eye on the massive
amounts coming in daily).

Thanks for any help!!!

Sincerely,
Jordan Erickson