On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 08:25:16PM +0100, SZABO Zsolt wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Rob Owens wrote:
>
> >Does ESD work with LTSP 5 or do I need PulseAudio?  I'm running Debian
> >Etch with the LTSP 5 packages from
> >http://pkg-ltsp.alioth.debian.org/debian and I can't get PulseAudio
> >configured properly.
>
> What is the problem exactly? I did the following:
>
> SERVER SIDE
> ===========
> # grep ^ssh /etc/security/group.conf
> ssh;*;*;Al0000-2400;fuse,audio
> # grep pam_group /etc/pam.d/ssh
> auth  optional pam_group.so
> # aptitude install pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-utils \
> #        padevchooser libao-pulse alsa-base
> # cat /etc/asound.conf
> pcm.!default {
>         type pulse
> }
> ctl.!default {
>         type pulse
> }
>
> CLIENT SIDE
> ===========
> # chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
> # aptitude install pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat alsa-base
>
> You can check the alsa modules with alsaconf logging in at tty1 on the
> client, and testing the /proc/asound...
>
> Do you see the pulse daemon in ps ax?
> --
> Zs

Should I run pulseaudio in "System Mode"?  /etc/default/pulseaudio seems to
recommend against it but that's the only way I can seem to get the daemon
running.

my /etc/default/pulseaudio:

# Start the PulseAudio sound server in system mode.
# (enables the pulseaudio init script)
# System mode is not the recommended way to run PulseAudio as it has some
# limitations (such as no shared memory access) and could potentially allow
# users to disconnect or redirect each others audio streams.
# 0 = don't start, 1 = start
PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START=1

# Prevent users from dynamically loading modules into the PulseAudio sound
# server. Dynamic module loading enhances the flexibilty of the PulseAudio
# system, but may pose a security risk.
# 0 = no, 1 = yes
DISALLOW_MODULE_LOADING=1

Thanks for the help.