Which LTSP do you use? 5/4.2...?
Try pulseaudio - works definitely for LTSP 5. I use it with Debian Etch System.
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Feisty/HOWTO:_PulseAudio
According to some websites it is better than ESD and it even has sound
support for the Adobe Flash plugin. There is no easy accessable volume
plugin for pulseaudio - but a programme called pavucontrol which
provides similar functions. I think most of the onboard soundcards
don't cause problems - so yours is probably supported.
peter