On Wednesday 18 Jun 2008, Sean Carte wrote:
> Does anybody have recommendations regarding thin client hardware for
> the clients?
>
> I see HP offer a few, including the NeoWare range. Has anybody used
> these with LTSP?

We have a couple of HP t5700 series machines, which PXE boot straight into
LTSP without fuss.  These are the XPe type machines, presumably buying the
Linux embedded versions makes more sense (at least MS isn't benefitting!).

We have used Wyse 9235LEs which work fine, but are very slow.

But I'm not sure that you need "thin client hardware" - these tend to have
flash memory and an O/S, neither of which you need with LTSP.  So consider
buying a low-power barebones PC (perhaps a Via or Epia, preferably fanless).
The key thing is that they must PXE boot, which almost all modern hardware
does.

For example I've bought a number of MSI Axis 700 Lite PCs, these are small
form factor and have everything you need except RAM (and possibly an optical
drive), both of which can be fitted in seconds.  They work in both 4.2 and 5
without a problem, and can be bought for around £100 sterling ($200) -
considerably cheaper than comparable thin client hardware.  And if, in the
future, you move away from LTSP, you can add a hard drive and install the O/S
of your choice...!

I've also built a couple of PCs and I was particularly pleased with the tiny
Cubid 3688 case with an Epia m/b and dvd-rom, which cost about £170 ($340)
but is absolutely gorgeous and took less than an hour to put together (you
could probably halve that if you were doing a number of them).

--
Chris Roberts

LTSP Version    : 5.1.3-1
Distribution    : Debian Etch